As Minneapolis Public Schools (MPS) and Minneapolis Federation of Teachers (MFT) began their current round of negotiations in February 2021, both sides agreed protecting teachers of color was a priority. Since then there have been 4 proposals and counterproposals regarding protections for teachers of color that have been made available to the public. Below you will find each of the proposals put forward in order. The first 3 proposals were brought forward during public negotiations, so we know what the concerns of each side were with the other's proposals. Proposal 4 was put on the table during private negotiations during mediation, so we are not aware of the reaction by MPS.
1. MFT Proposal on Retention of Educators of Color - March 18, 2021
- MPS concerned with the legality of making hiring, firing, and layoffs decisions explicitly based on race.
2. MPS Retention of Diverse Educators Proposal - May 27th, 2021
- MFT concerned with broad categories not actually benefitting teachers of color.
3. MFT Counterproposal on Retention of Diverse Educators Proposal - June 24th, 2021
- MPS concerned with the limiting protections for teachers of color to only 15 school buildings across the district. MPS refused to provide a counterproposal and asked MFT to provide them with a proposal that would protect teachers of color across the district.
4. MFT Proposal on Retaining Educators of Color - December 9th, 2021
- MFT's proposes again to only protect teachers of color at 15 racially isolated schools from excessing after MPS asked for a proposal that protects teachers of color at all MPS schools. Discussions and reactions are not known due to private mediation guidelines.
Do you like this page?